Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Weeping For The Pledge of Allegiance


I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I wonder what would happen if each person in America today were required to put hand to heart and face an American flag and recite the Pledge of Allegiance before starting work.  What if we were to stop each day and stand still in the light of truth?  Words or no words, there is something about this ritual in honor of a promise that can be powerful if held up to the integrity and unity its empty words imply. 

When I think about all the times I had to say the Pledge of Allegiance to pay for my day at public school, I feel betrayed.  Never mind the individual words, picking that apart would be a waist of time. I never felt as if I would be punished if I did not say the pledge in class.  I knew that I would feel the sting of difference if I'd abstained.  For all our American individualism, I recall a sense of wanting to fit in.  The unity of being under one God, however, sounded pretty ominous and I couldn't imagine how this could be anything different from the oppression of my own mother's rules.  But, under God, lived Sesame Street, Cub Scouts, doughnuts, fireworks, and my new blue Schwinn bicycle. This was patriotism at age 5.

The Vietnam War had ended the year before we celebrated the bi-centennial.  Plenty of flags had been carefully folded with white-gloved hands and handed to the mothers and fathers of American youth.  The flag was all they had at the end of it all. There remains, in me, strong memories of raising the flag up a pole in front of our school and taking a turn to handle the flag with careful, shaking hands.  We were all convinced that the flag was a treasure to be handled with care. 

When it came time for the Pledge of Allegiance, the classroom would quiet and the day would wait for the ritual of the pledge.  I felt so much a part of something.  Words spoken or sung together vibrate in my bones like a tuning fork. As I understood it, I was being asked to devote my love and energy to the mother tit of freedom and justice. In 1976, we celebrated the 200 years since the Founding Fathers signed the Declaration of Independence with special coins, furniture sales, and parades with drums pounding to the rhythm of my heart.  We celebrated the hard fight for freedom, the one thing that was constantly in danger of being taken away.  As a kid, freedom sounded pretty good.  I'm certain that I relished the idea of doing whatever I wanted. 

Four days after my 20th birthday in 1991, I watched the United States drop bombs on human beings in Kuwait on a big screen TV where I worked.  I remember large tan colored cannons shooting from the decks of ships.  I began to sob non-stop for what seemed like days.  Why was I the only one crying? People would ask me if I was okay.  My mother tried hard to teach us to abhor war and violence as well as guns.  I had watched Woodstock the movie over and over again as a teenager.  My idols were the young people who fought long and hard to end the Vietnam War.  The one's who wore American flag shirts and played the American Anthem on electric guitars.  The ones who were beaten, jailed, or killed because they tried to change things.  I thought that once such a birth of civilization like the peace movement or the equal rights movement had taken place, war would never come around again. 

I was so deeply disappointed by my country's actions in the world, and so very unaware of the truth.  History was but a fog of romanticism and lies for me after that.  I couldn't fathom why individuals were sent to prison for killing another human being, but things could just keep right on ticking after the Native American Indian cultures were systematically dismantled. If this is how this country got started, when would things ever be in balance again? If we were to stick to the pledge of allegiance, we would have to stop everything and focus just on fixing THAT before we could move forward with any kind of integrity.  We would probably even have to elect a Native American to the office of President of the United States.  The whole of congress would have to get down on bended, bare, and hurting knees and apologize for what our forefathers and mothers did to live on this continent, for all of the terrible ignorance that has followed. After all, how can we ever put it all back?  How can we rationalize so much pain, and blood shed? I was not feeling very patriotic. 

 Two years after the gulf war, my mother informed me that I was officially a member of DAR, the Daughters of the American Revolution.  I had no idea what this meant.  I was told to attend a meeting and that it could possibly bring me some much-needed support...I never went.  The idea of sharing patriotic luncheons with those who celebrate their direct connection to warfare seemed ludicrous and sad. 

My image of the gathering was of a bunch of old republican women bloated with self-importance and surrounded by lace tablecloths and white napkins, all set up under a gigantic American Flag. Never the less, being genetically linked to revolutionaries did give me a story during a time of great thirst for cultural lineage.  I was in college in the arts program during the multicultural movement.  White, was not a culture.  White was the eraser of cultures.  The symbol of dominance over all that was expressive, passionate, and poetic.  It was the blandness of British food and the creator of the unhealthy burger and fries.  White equaled stiff dancing, lack of style and color, thick-necked men in trucks with shotguns, and pale, allergic children with thick glasses.  Whiteness paved the countryside, killed the buffalo, and hung African Americans for wanting to be treated like human beings.  My family's connection to the Mayflower and to the American Revolution was my dark secret.  It was reserved for times when I felt completely devoid of culture. 

Nostalgic tears well up each time I hear the national anthem played to a large gathering of United States citizens, their bodies straight with pride and holding hats low.  It's the rare moment when I see people stand still and quiet without some sort of tragedy having to take place.  Perhaps we are standing still to gawk at the tragedy we all deny in our hearts.  I also tear up when all the cars on a busy street pull over and out of the way of a speeding, yowling ambulance.  What do these two things have to do with one another?  It is a miniscule tick of the clock in honor of our humanity.  It's an easy way to do something heartfelt for the common good.  It is, after all, an emergency. 

Relief is what I feel when the American public shows its ability to stop and let humanity march through the middle of a hard working and hurried day.  I wonder if we should all be standing still or sitting right down where we are when we become aware that our country is using our tax money for killing, torturing, and taking.  As I see it, we should all pull our cars over to the side of the road to let the ambulance of our healing begin.  Or stand up where we are and put our hands over our hearts or sit down to weep and wail without regard for the watchful eyes of the children.  The children already know of the violence, the numb faced disregard for human feelings and human safety.  We are walking testimonies to the tragic every day.  

Our numbness to the disparity between the Pledge of Allegiance and the inequality of 99% of the people in America is like driving a car down the road while blocking the ambulance behind, siren wailing, lights blazing, and horns honking.  I see myself behind the wheel with the music turned up loud, eating a snack, drinking my coffee, and thinking about what I need at the grocery store.  A police car following closely behind will turn on its lights and administer a ticket for ignoring an emergency, for being a negligent citizen.  It would take me only a moment to see that I was in danger of being singled out and shamed for my negligence.  I envision a grueling finger wag from the police officer asking me how I would feel if my loved one were on the way to the hospital and someone failed to move out of the way.  

Now, I sit in silence with 60 to 100 other American citizens for one hour each week to connect our hearts to our heads.  In the silence, we feel things.  We witness to our humanity.  We carefully center ourselves on finding a way forward that will put war, violence, and destruction of nature on a linear path to the finish line.  We look for a way to promote a cycle of integrity, peace, simple living, community connection, and equality that will forever feed into itself for many generations to come.  I feel like I am a part of something.  I feel the rhythm of our hearts beating together.  I sit still in the light of truth and I weep.  I am feeling peaceful, patriotic, and hopeful.  I am ready to join the Daughters of the American Revolution to promote a new kind of revolution.  I am the daughter of many revolutionaries who dreamed of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. 

Learn more...

Collaborative Consumption

War Is Not The Answer-FCNL

Cry Your Tears For You-John Trudell

Quaker Woman Fired For Inserting "Non-Violently" 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider honesty, love, compassion, and wholeness when leaving comments on this blog. The author invites learning, exploration, challenge, and healing in all interactions with the public.