Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Who Moved My Cheese?

When our Quaker meeting decided to re-do our backyard at the meetinghouse, I was initially disturbed.  I liked it the way it was.  I have a hard time accepting change and therefore decided not to participate.  I had some grieving to do.  

Hearing members of our community describe the back yard as muddy, and too shady was heart breaking.  I felt ashamed for having loved it so much.  All of the aspects of the back yard that people  were complaining about were treasures to me.  It was as if these people had to fall out of love with the back yard in order to begin visualizing a change.  These people had a dream.  It was a dream that the land could be shared with other creatures.  Regardless of other aspects of the new model that did not reflect this vision, good compromises were made. 
Borage by Glee

I wanted some time to say good-bye to the previous landscape, the memories, the celebrations, the times when I sought grounding there.  I was so filled with emotion, I couldn’t ask for what I wanted.  I was concerned it would make me look as if I were weak or afraid of change, like I didn’t care about our elders who couldn’t go out there and enjoy it.  I didn’t want to stop the project, I just felt tender about the place and the spiritual experiences I’d had there. 

At home, new neighbors had just moved in next door and began pulling out all of the landscaping, putting in a fence with small solar lights on the top of each post.  They put in a roll out lawn in the front and back yard, trimmed the old tree and removed a deck from the side of the house.  I’m not sure why I had any attachment to the house or to what was around it, but I did.  It is part of the land where I live and I knew someone before them had loved it, loved the plants they’d planted there, and had nurtured the land for over 20 years.  There were so many things about what my new neighbors were doing that upset me.  I felt angry and helpless, but mostly, it was change I was concerned about. 

Faith, the woman who had just moved in, is a friendly person, and a kind, conscientious neighbor.  She said the plants that had been there were dying.  I scoffed and tried not to glare, as I complained to my family on the side.  Soon after the neighbor’s lawn was rolled out, the ants came over to our house with a hunger unmatched by any I had seen.  The pest control measures the neighbors had taken to remove all unwanted guests were extreme.  Because we try not to use poison, we began a long, embroiled relationship with the ants, eventually settling for a permanent line in the kitchen and in the upstairs bathroom. 

I had more reasons to grumble about my new neighbors and all the changes to our environment.  I didn’t ask for anything from them, because I feel I have no right to complain.  I just had to accept that what they do on their half acre is their own business. The lines were drawn a hundred years ago.  In the end, this is all about ownership, or stewardship, if you like.  If we are privileged, we buy our bit of land and do our best to tend to it.  But, owning property is not without community interdependence.  After all, we have rules about noise, trees, water, sidewalks, parking, pests, pets, pollution, trash and more. 

Even if we hardly know the people on our street, or in our neighborhood, we have expectations about neighborly conduct.  When we live so close together, we kind of need one another.  We need trust, respect, acceptance, help, communication, safety, and sometimes friendship.  I know I feel better when I know the people on my street, for better or for worse.  Though my neighbors don’t have to ask permission to change their landscaping, they might need to feel accepted by those who live around them.  Over time, my husband and I have grown to love and understand our new neighbors.  Our children play together, I bring her vegetables from my garden, and she gives me a ride to our children’s school.  From this, my kids have learned to bring their child a piece of left over birthday cake and in turn, he makes them brownies.  They are learning the gifts of relationship. 

Several years ago, my husband and I decided to transform our land into a place where we could grow food, and raise chickens.  We wanted to be part of the local food movement, understanding that much urban land is not used for growing food, and instead, food is brought from hundreds of miles away, and grown on industrial farms using chemicals, and genetically modified seeds to give us what we need or want at all times of the year. We wanted to be part of the solution.  So, we dug up portions of our lawn, amended the soil, and put in vegetable gardens.  We composted our food waste to go back into this tiny system we were building. 

We studied permaculture and tried our hand at gardening.  I grew up in the country and had helped with our family garden throughout my childhood.  No matter where my mother moved us when I was a child, even in the city, we always had a garden.  Within a month of moving into a new house, a dump truck full of wood chips would arrive next to our house, or the old rusty rototiller would come out and spend the day transforming a side yard into a vegetable garden.  My mother needed the soil like she needed air.  I learned to have food growing around us everywhere we lived.  It was fruit trees, tomatoes, beans, peppers, cucumbers, squash.  So, that’s what we stared with.  I thought I knew how to grow food.  What I thought was an innate ability for us, proved to be a challenging and disappointing experience.  We had to study and ask questions.  We had to make friends with other gardeners and farmers. 

By the fourth year, we have graduated to potatoes, a fig tree, berries, and winter squash.  We are very proud of our accomplishment.  With permaculture, my family has even started to understand how these veggies and other plants get along together in the garden. The next step is to cultivate a safe place for bees, and get more involved in our community garden or a CSA.  With these changes, humans might continue to live together in community without destroying the delicate balance of our ecosystem.  We feel like we are helping to keep our city sustainable (said sarcastically with thumbs in invisible coveralls). 


There’s something else we humans share.  There is the soil, the water, the air, the wood, the seeds, the pollinators, and the land, and we share it all with the rest of the living creatures who connect us to this grand biosphere of Earth and beyond.  It’s much bigger!  Just when I thought I was done! 

I began to explore the difference between stewardship and permaculture. 

Here we were trying to use the land responsibly, by asking her to make food.  We asked the food to grow and to give us sustenance and seeds.  We put energy, water, and compost back into her.  The water alone was costing us a pretty penny.  At the end of it all, we were barely breaking even financially.  Our garden was functioning like a hobby.  It is a thing of privilege. 

When I started learning more about the other things my garden needs, I realized there’s very little I can control when it comes to growing our own food.  The amount of sunlight and rain and the pollinators were all things we need the ecosystem to provide.  What I realized is that we are all in this together. 

The way my neighbor does her landscaping makes a difference for all of us.  If she wants a big lawn, lots of water, and dislikes bees, other living things in the neighborhood don’t have enough to survive.  The birds, the worms, the ants, the flowers, the grubs, the snails, the raccoons, the microbes and bacterium in the soil, all suffer because the continuation of a connected system requires health and balance.  Some will grow large and wide, while others will grow narrow and sparse, each according to its own need.  This is something like equity. 

There are some theories behind this.  Keeping the system moving, growing, adjusting, and changing, mirrors the way the biosphere of our Gaia organism functions.  All things belong to all places.  Like the butterfly effect, Quantum theory, and like the god particle named by the Quantum Activist.  If we look at the form that follows function, the form is the ecosystem at its most infinite.  Each smaller circle drawn within is a mirror of the larger pattern, as it feeds back into itself.  A feedback loop, which is part of understanding systems theory describes nutrients feeding back into the system. 

You’ve maybe seen drawings of a tree’s ecosystem, becoming its own nutrients by dropping its leaves to mulch its roots, taking again a bit of itself mixed back into the life and growing again and again until the tree itself dies and goes back to feed the myriad of selves.  (Myriad of selves is an analogy of everlasting life of the Spirit beyond the earth body.  It is a way of conceptualizing how souls die and return to the whole, and then return to a vessel, through which the energy of the universe travels.)  And on and on it goes, like the Buddhist mantra Gatte Gatte Para Gatte Para Sam Gatte Bodhi Swaha.

Not done yet…


Within each cycle of this tree is another cycle just like it and yet completely unique.  A tangible, real, moving, changing system is constantly creating itself, and by this process, it appears, reflects, expresses, and goes back into the myriad of selves.  For only one unique moment will it ever be like that moment, it is but a pattern of itself becoming itself. It is all existing at once, as long into the future as one can fathom and as far back into the past as one can sense in the skin, the bones, earth, all in the womb of our constant becoming.  Keep doing this.  Keep with this pattern.  Think of it as a rhythm on a drum or the breath in Buddhist mediation.  Go back to it when you feel far from it.  It might feel releasing, without fear, and a sense of never being alone, never separate, because it is not possible to be separate. 

The notion of separate was kept for us, on our behalf, for eons, so that we may return to wholeness.  What? Think of it like breathing.  We cannot breath in forever; we have to stop and breath out.  It was always becoming and it will always be becoming, meaning the moment we are in now is always gone the moment we notice it.   It is moving and changing, dying and being reborn.  It is an offering from our future myriad selves of the ecosystem, to look, to feel, and to listen, for the principles that have been sleeping, for seeds planted during eons before the eon where our spiritual ancestors were told about our separateness. 

There is an analogy of this becoming in the Garden of Eden, and in the many gardens all around us.  (Becoming, here, refers to the acceptance of a perspective by a group of people which eventually leads to a paradigm shift, in this case the idea that the soul is trapped in this earthly body, separate from God and separate from Goddess.)

Okay, back to Earth.

We often fret and moan over the gardens around our homes in urban settings.  Portland, Oregon was a deep forest of trees, with layers of wet, spongy mulch below and together with the plants that found a home in wet shade.  The love of the tree shelters life.  My wooden house is made of that forest, the ancient beams hold her history and the place from which the wood comes.   Here, we are lucky to know the wood that we took from the earth. 

These houses quietly hold a memory of the hundred or so years of deforestation in their wood.  I recall that my family and I are still in love with the forest here around us.  When we try to return what we can to the order humans found long ago, we become the creators once again, like the US who built the houses and used the wood, the water, and the soil to create what we are now.  We are so in love with this place that we continue to keep the system going.  How will we ever create the shade again unless we relinquish our power over, our separateness, and let time continue to move and fold into future and past.  I see this as letting the earthquake come and shake us around, let the trees fall in our path and we can learn to go around it. 

From Ad Busters 2013 
If we come back to the circle we are part of, the system will reflect our presence among the myriad of selves.  We will know our wholeness and it will appear so.  It is for us together, the myriad of selves (our relations) to envision our wholeness, whose seeds are already planted by our future and coming from our past.  What does this mean?  It means the Earth will regenerate herself to accommodate life.  It just may not look the way it looks now. 

Humans alone, and certainly not a select few humans cannot do the creating. It would soon be out of balance and they will feel a nudge to come back into alignment, to let the others (our non-human relations) express their life to the whole.  In the now of letting go, we will glimpse it as it moves, as if sensing a ghost.  Look at it, listen to it, and we will begin to see it more and more.  It will continue to wake up in the heart of the One.   And yes, our cities will change, our gardens will be set free, and we will return to the garden where we are whole.  This means we are going to have to get okay with death.  Not just death of a system we have built and helped to maintain, but death in general.  Dying isn’t separation; it is a return to the whole. 

 By now, I can understand that it’s all connected in one inseparable system.  What my neighbor does effects the whole planet.  What’s more, my fabulous vegetable garden and fruit trees were part of the problem, too.  What? But, I thought, I was part of the solution! I was part of a solution, but not the solution. 

Wrapping my head around all of this change was hard, but not impossible.  Climate change is the kind of change that comes in spite of my reluctance.  Choosing non-participation isn’t going to work.  It’s not people and process this time. It’s grief, loss, and imbalance on a grand scale.  It’s the kind of change that makes it impossible for some people to continue living on their piece of the planet.  We’re going to have to share, change our way of living, and mourn the loss of our way of life. 

                      Andrea Brooke (playing the Earth Harp) 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider honesty, love, compassion, and wholeness when leaving comments on this blog. The author invites learning, exploration, challenge, and healing in all interactions with the public.