Tuesday, July 12, 2016

A Radical Kind Of Love

When I observe my Quaker community with eyes of love, I see great potential for societal change.  I see it in the way long-time Friends address expressed disparities in opportunities for leadership by young people.  I see it in the response from young Friends when they see the good intentions of long-time Friends as they falter and struggle to listen.  It's this certain kind of perfection that persists in the Society of Friends and it's this hope and resilience that keeps Friends from leaving our small international community of spiritual peace activists.  And now, it is the humble, yet disturbing realization that American Friends have continued to accept privilege from a white supremacist, dominant culture.  Friends of color have been excluded from leadership since emancipation but resilient in delivering a loving message of imperfection despite now welling anger and sadness at the ignorance of many Friends.

Though it is a powerful temptation to step back and criticize our communities and organizations for their ongoing acceptance of power over others, it is more in alignment with the leadings of the Spirit to point out all of the reasons why we can change.  It is right to open our eyes to the tragic difference between who we can be and who we are right now.  To have this vision of a world transformed, means hearing the prophetic voices of Friends who are describing what this new world of inclusion looks like and how we as Friends look when we are in it.  Together, we must hold hands and leap across the river of disbelief and arrive hand in hand on the other side, where all are welcomed, encouraged, empowered, and acknowledged for their gifts, regardless of how the dominant culture functions. 

When Friends walk by the leadings of Spirit in every step, we are guided through darkness and tribulation with hope and joy.  When we keep in the presence of the Light and refresh ourselves constantly with the breath of this presence, we are with one another beyond the walls of the meetinghouse.  Yet, we are not separate from those around us, who have nothing to do with the Society of Friends and could care less about whether we are humble or honest.  It is out in the world, walking with Black Lives Matter and others that are not Friends' organizations, where we shine with this strength.  When we walk in the Light of God/Spirit, this Light is in each living presence we encounter, but most importantly, it shines on our darkness as well.  For me, it is like being hugged and held by a forgiving, strengthening, and loving force that is coming from within and yet is all around.  I feel safe, and at the same time very awake to the violence and inequality I sense around me, sometimes apparent only in imperceptibly small ways.  It is gratitude I feel when I walk in this way.  

It is the belief in our ability as humans to be in this radically loving place that I hope I share with all Quakers that gives me the strength to stay in this vision of transformation beyond the reality of violence and inequality. 


I suppose what I am saying here, is that if love is the first motion, the motion is to observe the goodness of Friends and our potential to transform our society into one that is inclusive, open, and forgiving.  I prefer to have this hope and support when I must surrender each day to the willing of Spirit.  I trust the guidance of Love and all I have learned about this Way from Friends.  

Learn More:  Fit For Freedom, Not For Friendship (Book) 
                      Women of Color Speak Out (Seattle)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider honesty, love, compassion, and wholeness when leaving comments on this blog. The author invites learning, exploration, challenge, and healing in all interactions with the public.